Sunday 6 October 2013

Namaste Nepal

Call me slack..

Have been in Nepal for three weeks now and what a great little country.
The lowest point is 60metres above sea level and the highest being the almighty Sagarmartha AKA Mt. Everest at 8,848metres.

I like everything about this country.. Most of all the people but least of all the roads.

Our first stop was the town of Pokhara which is a lazy wee town 200kms west of Kathmandu and the gateway town to the Annapurna Circuit.
Yes, only 200kms.. but it's still a 7hour bus ride. The roads are the worst I have seen.. They remind me of Christchurch post earthquake. The main highway consists of smooth tarmac with intermittent gravelly/potholey patches.. and these are frequent. Let me tell you.. On a non aircon bus, 7 hours is uncomfortable.  We can't complain though because it cost us $5 and we got two toilet stops. Hurrah!

Came down with a slight bug in Pokhara but still managed to do day walks and enjoy the town. A true fighter however after four days and no improvements it was time to get serious because I needed strength for the EBC trek.

Getting back up to Kathmandu was again slow on the bus.
The kathmandu valley used to be run by three shah kings and therefore have three seperate kingdoms - Kathmandu, Patan and Bhaktipur. They are beautiful and filled with culture. I would highly recommend a nights stay in Bhaktipur to anyone thinking of coming. It is pedestrianize also so you may even get a sleep in.

The main backpacker area of Thamel is exciting and you risk your life everytime you step onto the street. The people are friendly and kindly offering 'you come smoke with me in my car. marjiuaaaana, haaash'.
The shopping is also AMAZING. Goodbye all funds.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment