Wednesday 11 September 2013

Wrapping up Lanka

T-minus two hours before our airport taxi is arriving and 6 hours before we are on an aeroplane out of here and this will all just be a memory...

A memory yes.. But a little more as well..
Sri Lanka has been a huge learning curve for me and has changed me too.
I am not talking some big spiritual change (or religious if you happened to read my other blogs about Buddhism) but just change.

This is the first time I have left the bosom, the family and ventured the world solo.. And while I'm not alone, my sister is such a damned good traveller that last time I didn't have to worry or plan a lot.. Much to her annoyance. Or though I did whip us up some spectacular sleeping sheets on the sewing machine.
This time, I have been the researcher and planner and I would like to announce that the trip has been a success. Hurrah!

I feel a lot more confident now about travelling.. We have managed trains, public buses, scammers and turning up late at night with no booking and... it has all worked out. There are times when I didnt think it would and would stress myself silly but it all worked out. That's the biggest lesson.. Things will generally work out in the end.

Sri Lanka has been incredible. And despite the close proximity, it is so different to India.. Or though the driving is just a crazy. Overtaking a car which is overtaking a car on a blind corner. You think I'm joking but I'm not.
But it is so much easier to use public transport, so much cleaner, the food seems safer, not as polluted and not as crazy!! It is the diet India.

The country here is so diverse! More so than New Zealand.
We started in the Negombo which gives a good greeting to new travellers. A small beach side town with bustling fishing markets and close to the only international airport in the country.
From there we bused up to the sweltering hot and sparse ancient cities where you can catch a glimpse of another generation of Sri Lanka where kings and  massive fortresses ruled.
Then it was time to head inland for a little reprieve from the heat to the bright green and beautiful tea plantations of the hill country and learn a little of the history and current production of the worlds second most consumed drink. Water being the first.
Next it was time to head south to the beautiful Sri Lankan beaches where less than ten years ago a tsunami came and wiped this whole coastline, killing many and destroying towns.
Lastly, a couple of nights in the bustling country capital Colombo where the military presence is heavy and the shopping is fantastic.

 So with that in mind, it's time to say goodbye to this beautiful country. For now.

The next destination is Singapore, and then onto India. Even though I said earlier I felt better about traveling, India wipes that clean away. India is a world of its own so for now, still shitting myself.

Kia kaha Sri Lanka! May the peace stay with you all. It's been great.

 Statistics

Necklaces in situ: 3
Sunburn: 1
Bumwees: 2
Vomits: 0 (hurrah!)
Lizard encounters: too many! 
Giant rocks climbed: 1
Marriage proposals: 0 (sad times - bring on India) 
Rupees left: 265







No comments:

Post a Comment