Sunday 25 August 2013

A fishy experience

Here we are then.. My first entry from an overseas location.
Thanks to Mum for sharing the word on this.. I am really feeling the pressure to write something decent now. 

I've made it to the first stop of the itinerary. All shacked up writing this in an upstairs internet cafe in Negombo, Sri Lanka. Only had to pass 1 homeless man and two dogs on the way up the stairs to get here. Bonus!

The flight over was long but very comfortable aboard the business class *cough economy cough* of Singapore airlines. I don't know how I will fly on a low cost airline now without my hot towels, free gifts and free food/alcohol. Well ill probably manage secondary to funds.. The experience was nice anyway. After a hairy landing in Singapore which had us swerving all over the runway (has this happened to anyone else before?) we had completed the big flight and only had a 5 hour transit and 3 hour plane to Bandaranaike International Airport. 

We were welcomed to the airport by a shouting match between two old Indian men. I took that moment to steal a look at Joe and then welcome him to Sri Lanka. Tehehe. 
Otherwise customs was a breeze.. We literally breezed through. Mmmm safe. 

I don't know if I can even begin to describe the hustle and bustle that is a third world country to those who have never experienced it. One piece of advice - EXPERIENCE IT. My companion on this leg of the journey, Joe has never been to a third world country before and so far he has had no melt downs or pant pooing episodes so that should be reassuring to all first timers. He sort of just has a lost, overwelmed look on his face most of the time. 

The most different thing I have found so far on the trip is the lack of white people.. I know this may seem an obvious fact but in comparison to India, there are slim to none. This, however is the best thing though.. This wee town of Negombo is so truly Lankan (learnt that little bit of local slang from one of the 'Lankan' doctors at work). There aren't even (much to my disapointment) any tourist markets or stands. You heard me - no happy pants!!!!! So it feels very real. 

We have been to the morning fish market - a smelly, crazy experience where most people are walking around with a dirty machete.
And we have wandered through town.. however my Sri Lankan friend, Shanti tells me town doesn't 'get going' til 10am so we are currently eagerly awaiting the town to rip into action.. as if it wasn't already. I am counting a 'toot toot', 'meep meep' or 'BEEEEEP' approx every 5-10 seconds currently.  

Other than that, not much more to write. We are off to Kalpitiya in the morning to see what the Sri Lanka Kite Scene is all about.. 

Keep in touch. Love to all at home.

Gihilla enna xxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment